A Deliciously Simple Vanilla Cherry Pie Recipe
Nothing says summer like a delicious slice of cherry pie! If you’re looking for a dessert that is both easy to make and will have your family coming back for seconds, this vanilla cherry pie recipe is just the thing. This recipe is perfect for all ages, from the youngest bakers to experienced chefs, so get ready to whip up something sweet and delectable in no time!
Photo from Pexels
For this recipe, you will need the following:
- One 9-inch store-bought pastry shell
- 3 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened cherries (pitted)
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- Place the pastry shell on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place aside while you prepare the filling.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cherries, sugar, almond extract, and cornstarch together until combined. Pour this mixture into the prepared pastry shell and dot with butter or margarine on top.
Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool before serving.
If you’re not a fan of cherries, you can substitute any other type of seasonal fruit such as apples, peaches, or even blueberries. And if you don’t have almond extract on hand, vanilla extract will also work!
For a crunchier crust, you can brush the top of the pastry shell with an egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of milk) before baking it. This will help to create a nice golden color on top.
The Editor’s Note
My daughters really love this recipe and I love that it’s so quick and simple to make. If you don’t have frozen cherries on hand, you can use canned ones as well, just be sure to drain off the excess liquid before adding them to your pie filling. And they love it as-is, nothing more.
My husband and my son, on the other hand, love to top their slice with a scoop of ice cream! No matter how you make it, this vanilla cherry pie is a sure-fire hit at any party or family gathering.
And you know what? If you really want to have an amazing twist, try rhum-soaked cherries! They will give your pie a very nice flavor, but be careful if you want to serve it for kids.
Enjoy your deliciously simple vanilla cherry pie and the happy memories it will bring. Bon appetit!